Sanford USD Medical Center
The Sanford USD Medical Center in Sioux Falls provides leading care for patients from across the Midwest. As the largest hospital in South Dakota and a teaching hospital for the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine, we are proud to offer the latest in innovative care. Our highly skilled medical teams are known for their passion, leadership and dedication to patients.
We have been consistently named a Top 100 Hospital in the nation. Our comprehensive care includes emergency air transport, neonatal and pediatric intensive care, transplant services and specialty centers in children’s care, heart, cancer, neuroscience, sports medicine and women’s health. With 545 beds and 4,000 employees, we are here to meet you and your family’s health care needs.
The Sanford USD Medical Center is the only Level I Adult and Level II Pediatric Trauma Center in South Dakota verified by the American College of Surgeons. When every second counts, we’re here to provide the highest level of care to our patients.
Sanford USD Medical Center Doctors
Sanford USD Medical Center Visitor Policy
- 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. daily
- For the safety of our patients and staff, all visitors visiting inpatient rooms are required to have a visitor badge from the Easy Lobby Visitor Management System
- Driver’s license is required
- Must check-in/check-out at Guest Services or Patient Access with a new badge each day
- Must check-out/in regardless of the length of time away
- Unlimited number of visitors
- Must be an acceptable amount in each room for staff to provide excellent patient care
- Children’s, Women’s and NICU areas have individualized guidelines
Visiting Patients with COVID-19
- Same two visitors per day and cannot rotate
- Next day can be two different visitors
- Must be masked at all times and not visit common areas such as the cafeterias and gift shops. Should not utilize Valet Services
- May not visit if experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19
- Ages 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Select Specialty Hospital is 17 years old and under (Must get approval from leadership)
Visiting Multiple Patients in One Visit
- Visitors may only visit one room at a time unless on same unit.
- Must get one badge, visit patient, then check-out and get new badge for second patient (clergy excluded)
Level l Trauma Center
As South Dakota’s only Level I Trauma Center, Sanford USD Medical Center provides the highest level of care to critically ill or injured adults in the state.
The medical center is verified by the American College of Surgeons.
NICHE Senior Friendly Member
Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE) recognizes health care organizations for providing age-friendly, exemplary nursing care to patients ages 65 and older.
NICHE imparts principles and tools to stimulate changes in clinical practice to achieve patient-centered care and helps nursing teams effectively meet the needs of older adult patients.
The American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet designation is the most prestigious credential a health care organization can achieve for nursing excellence and quality patient care. Research demonstrates that Magnet designation provides specific benefits including improved patient outcomes, higher patient satisfaction and high job satisfaction among nurses.
Sanford USD Medical Center and Clinics has been a Magnet-recognized organization since 2003, being designated five consecutive times for nursing excellence.