Know the Signs and Symptoms of a Stroke
When it comes to a stroke, nothing is more important than time. A rapid response from skilled specialists can make all the difference. Know the signs and symptoms of a stroke and get help as soon as possible.
Stroke signs and symptoms | BE FAST
Remember the signs of a stroke and BE FAST. Call 911 right away if you experience these symptoms:
- B – Sudden loss of balance
- E – Loss of vision in one or both eyes
- F – Facial drooping, usually on one side
- A – Arm drift (one arm hangs or drifts down)
- S – Slurred speech
- T – Terrible headache, Time to call 911 now
Two types of strokes
There are two different types of strokes:
- Ischemic stroke: A common type of stroke caused by a blood clot or plaque. This prevents the brain tissue from getting oxygen or nutrients.
- Hemorrhagic stroke: A ruptured blood vessel, often resulting from a brain aneurysm, causes this less common type of stroke. An aneurysm is a bulging, weakened blood vessel.
- Stroke prevention: We work with you to manage carotid artery disease, a buildup of cholesterol in the blood vessels of the brain and neck. We can help you make lifestyle changes to prevent future strokes.
- Clot-busting drugs: Called tissue plasminogen activators (tPA), these medicines break up blood clots and improves blood flow to the brain.
- Endovascular procedures: During these procedures, we insert a thin, hollow tube called a catheter into a blood vessel in the groin, thread the catheter to the brain with the help of X-ray guidance and use the catheter to deliver medication or remove a clot.
Find a Location
Find a Doctor
Sanford Health News
Hospice volunteer connects with patients at end of lifeLinda Bates of Fargo provides companionship to patients who request visitors
Inclusive health care messaging informs and inspiresNational ad awards recognize Sanford Health’s impact on delivering quality care to all
Classes & Events
New Baby and Me
Thu 06/01/23 2:00 PM - Thu 06/01/23 3:00 PM
Cancer Survivors Picnic
Thu 06/01/23 4:30 PM - Thu 06/01/23 7:00 PM
Ramkota Hotel Exhibit Hall