Know the Signs and Symptoms of a Stroke
When it comes to a stroke, nothing is more important than time. A rapid response from skilled specialists can make all the difference. Know the signs and symptoms of a stroke and get help as soon as possible.
Stroke signs and symptoms | BE FAST
Remember the signs of a stroke and BE FAST. Call 911 right away if you experience these symptoms:
- B – Sudden loss of balance
- E – Loss of vision in one or both eyes
- F – Facial drooping, usually on one side
- A – Arm drift (one arm hangs or drifts down)
- S – Slurred speech
- T – Terrible headache, Time to call 911 now
Two types of strokes
There are two different types of strokes:
- Ischemic stroke: A common type of stroke caused by a blood clot or plaque. This prevents the brain tissue from getting oxygen or nutrients.
- Hemorrhagic stroke: A ruptured blood vessel, often resulting from a brain aneurysm, causes this less common type of stroke. An aneurysm is a bulging, weakened blood vessel.
- Stroke prevention: We work with you to manage carotid artery disease, a buildup of cholesterol in the blood vessels of the brain and neck. We can help you make lifestyle changes to prevent future strokes.
- Clot-busting drugs: Called tissue plasminogen activators (tPA), these medicines break up blood clots and improves blood flow to the brain.
- Endovascular procedures: During these procedures, we insert a thin, hollow tube called a catheter into a blood vessel in the groin, thread the catheter to the brain with the help of X-ray guidance and use the catheter to deliver medication or remove a clot.
Find a Location
Find a Doctor
Sanford Health News
Keep your family cool and safe in the summer heatWhat SPF to use, how much to hydrate & more ways to protect all ages when it's hot outside
Hospice manager helps coordinate care when needed mostLiz Weisbrich makes complex laws simpler for providers and end-of-life care better for patients
Classes & Events
Tue 06/06/23 1:00 PM - Tue 06/06/23 2:00 PM
Understanding Me: Why I Do What I Do
Tue 06/06/23 5:30 PM - Tue 06/06/23 7:30 PM
Online via Webex