Lactation Help for Moms and Babies
If you have questions about breastfeeding or are struggling, don’t feel discouraged. Breastfeeding can be challenging, especially when you have a lot on your plate as a new parent.
Sanford Health is here for every mom, whether you choose to breastfeed, pump or formula feed. We offer the lactation help and support you need to feel empowered in your parenting choices.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
When considering breastfeeding, know that there are many benefits. For your baby, breastfeeding provides the perfect balance of nutrition, boosts their immune system and helps the two of you develop a close bond.
Breastfeeding can also benefit parents. You will save money and could have an easier time losing weight after giving birth.
Getting Breastfeeding Help
Help is available whether you’re a new or experienced parent. Our certified lactation consultants are here to support you. We can answer questions, help you find good breastfeeding positions and solve other challenges.
Speak to a lactation consultant or postpartum nurse.
Call our lactation support hotline:
- In Sioux Falls, call (605) 328-7120. Hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- In Fargo, call (701) 417-3838.
- In Bismarck, call (701) 323-2547.
- In Bemidji, call (218) 333-5755.
Don’t wait until discouragement sets in. A lactation consultant can help you get started breastfeeding and work with you later if you encounter other challenges.
Lactation Support Visits
Lactation consultants are available by appointment during scheduled clinic hours. You can also reach a lactation consultant when and where you need one by scheduling a breastfeeding video visit. Through video visits, you can get care from the comfort of your own home, at work or on the go.
Use My Sanford Chart to schedule an appointment or request a video visit today.
Talk to a lactation consultant or your doctor immediately if:
- Your baby isn’t latching properly.
- You’re delaying breastfeeding or crying while breastfeeding due to sore nipples.
- You’re thinking about using breast aid products such as hydrogel pads or a nipple shield. Some of these products are not recommended in certain situations.
A little bit of help can mean the difference between giving up or successfully breastfeeding for as long as you want.
We also offer in-person and virtual breastfeeding classes and support groups.