Lactation Support for Moms and Babies
We’re here for every mom, whether you choose to breastfeed, pump or formula feed. Our goal is to empower you with the lactation help and support you need before and after you give birth.
Getting Lactation and Breastfeeding Support
Our certified lactation consultants are here to support you, whether you’re a new or experienced parent. They can answer questions, help you find good breastfeeding positions and solve other challenges. Asking for a little bit of help can affect how long you successfully breastfeed.
Talk to a lactation consultant or your doctor immediately if:
- Your baby isn’t latching properly.
- You’re delaying breastfeeding or crying while breastfeeding due to sore nipples.
- You’re thinking about using breast-aid products such as hydrogel pads or a nipple shield. (Some of these products are not recommended in certain situations.)
Lactation Support Hotline
Speak to a lactation consultant or postpartum nurse:
- In Sioux Falls, call (605) 328-7120 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- In Fargo, call (701) 417-3838.
- In Bismarck, call (701) 323-2547.
- In Bemidji, call (218) 333-5755.
- In Aberdeen, call (605) 626-4599.
Lactation Support Visits & Locations
Lactation consultants are available by appointment during scheduled clinic hours. You can also reach a lactation consultant when and where you need one by scheduling a breastfeeding video visit. Through video visits, you can get care from the comfort of your own home, at work or on the go. Talk to your provider to see if video visits are an option in your area and how to schedule.
We also provide convenient walk-in lactation support at various locations.
- In Sioux Falls, explore our New Arrivals Program at CHILD Services.
- In the Fargo & Bemidji area learn more about Baby Café.
- In Bismarck, learn about our Well Baby Clinic at the Sanford Children’s Campus.
Breastfeeding Classes and Support Groups
Many moms and moms-to-be have questions about breastfeeding. Whether your baby is on the way or has already arrived, our in-person and virtual classes and support groups can help make your breastfeeding journey the best it can be.
Breast Pumps & Supplies
A lactation consultant or your provider can answer your questions about breast pumps and supplies. They can help you choose the right pump for you and show you how to use it.
Sanford Health Equip
Get everything you need to breastfeed from Sanford Health Equip. We offer a variety of pumps and supplies and can help you feel comfortable and confident while breastfeeding.
Sanford Health News
Primary care, lab and pharmacy are built into clinic in fast-growing area
Mentors partner from near and far to grow mother-child care overseas