Start Your Future in Pharmacy with Sanford
Sanford Health ASHP-accredited Pharmacy Residency Programs provide an opportunity to sharpen clinical skills, work as part of an interdisciplinary team and impact patient care.
Sanford Health pharmacy residents gain valuable leadership skills and teaching opportunities that can be applied in a variety of settings. Graduates of the program have successfully pursued positions as clinical managers, college faculty, department leaders, residency program directors and medication safety officers.
Sanford Health pharmacy residents are exposed to numerous patient populations with each site offering different learning experiences. The programs foster dedication to the profession of pharmacy, encourage residents to challenge themselves and broaden their experience - while participating in Sanford's environment of leadership, innovation and research.
Fargo Pharmacy Residencies
Welcome from the Directors
On behalf of our entire pharmacy team, we welcome you to consider Sanford Health Fargo for your future residency training. If you desire an environment that emphasizes the safety of every patient, evidence-based practice and close mentorship by a diverse group of expert pharmacists, we believe you will find our residency programs to be highly rewarding experiences both personally and professionally.
As the practice of pharmacy evolves and changes, we strive to provide experiences that shape residents into exemplary pharmacists capable of practicing at the top of their license. Rotations are highly customizable and are tailored to meet each individual’s needs and goals. Our program’s graduates have gone on to advance the practice of pharmacy in numerous settings and specialties here in Fargo and all over the country.
Our experienced preceptors are deeply invested in the success of the residents they train. The years of rapport built through our multidisciplinary teaching teams provides a setting of mutual respect ideal for the education of all disciplines. Rest assured that the time and effort you invest in residency will be met with unmatched mentorship and personalized learning with pharmacists passionate about their practice areas.
If an atmosphere dedicated to the work of health and healing for every patient is of interest to you, we encourage you to explore our materials and reach out to us at any time for more information. We are honored that you would consider Sanford Health Fargo to help you meet your future goals, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Carlina Grindeland, PharmD, BCPS, BCPPS
David Leedahl, PharmD, BCCCP, BCIDP, BCPS AQ-ID,
Monte Roemmich, PharmD, BCPS
Jocelyn Mohs, PharmD, BCOP
- Letter to Applicant for Postgraduate Year One (PGY1) - Pharmacy Residency at Sanford Medical Center Fargo
- Letter to Applicant for Postgraduate Year One (PGY1) - Pharmacy Residency in an Ambulatory Care Setting at Sanford Medical Center Fargo
- Letter to Applicant for Postgraduate Year Two (PGY2) - Critical Care Pharmacy Residency at Sanford Medical Center Fargo
- Letter to Applicant for Postgraduate Year Two (PGY2) - Oncology Pharmacy Residency at Sanford Roger Maris Cancer Center
Sanford Health in Fargo and its affiliated medical centers and clinics offer a variety of pharmacy residency positions each year.
PGY1 Pharmacy Residency, Traditional
PGY1 Pharmacy Residency, Nontraditional
PGY1 Pharmacy Residency, Ambulatory Care Setting
PGY2 Pharmacy Residency, Critical Care
PGY2 Pharmacy Residency, Oncology
More Program Information
- Brochure - Postgraduate Year One (PGY1) - Pharmacy Residency at Sanford Medical Center Fargo
- Brochure - Postgraduate Year One (PGY1) - Pharmacy Residency in an Ambulatory Care Setting at Sanford Medical Center Fargo
- Brochure - Postgraduate Year Two (PGY2) - Critical Care Pharmacy Residency at Sanford Medical Center Fargo
- Brochure - Postgraduate Year Two (PGY2) - Oncology Pharmacy Residency at Sanford Roger Maris Cancer Center
Stipend and Benefits
- PGY1 programs: $49,920
- PGY2 programs: $54,920
Vacation, Holiday and Sick Leave
Residents are awarded 20 days of Allowed (paid) Time Away at the start of the residency program. These days include personal, professional and sick time.
Sanford recognizes three major holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day) and three minor holidays (Labor Day, Christmas Eve and Memorial Day). Residents may be required to staff scheduled holidays (up to one major and one minor holiday). The number of staffed holidays is program-specific. Holidays, whether staffed or off, do not count against Allowed Time Away.
PGY1 Residents are supported to attend the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, and PGY2 residents are supported to attend one annual meeting for the specialty area of their training. All residents are supported to attend the regional residency research conference. Funding is provided for approved travel expenses, such as airfare, hotel, registration and per diem. Residency program and pharmacy leadership consider additional professional travel requests on a case-by-case basis.
Residents are eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance through their employment at Sanford Health.
Candidates must meet the following prerequisites:
- Be an eligible graduate or graduate of an accredited school of pharmacy
- Hold an active pharmacy license, or be eligible for licensure in North Dakota (and Minnesota for PGY1s only)
PGY2 candidates must additionally meet the following:
- Be participating in or have completed an ASHP-accredited PGY1 residency program or one in the ASHP accreditation process
Residency applications are due January 10th of each year through PHORCAS, and must include:
- Letter of interest (include clinical areas of interest and reason for pursuing residency)
- Curriculum vitae
- College transcript(s)
- Three PHORCAS standardized reference forms
Offers for on-site interviews are extended in January following the application deadline.
All candidates must also register with the ASHP Resident Matching Program.
Please note: Individuals who have work authorization in the United States are welcome to apply. However, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Sanford Medical Center Fargo pharmacists are diverse in their training and interests. All have a passion to precept your residency training.
While the facilities and the people you will work with during training are impressive, the community where you will live is also enticing. Residents will work and live in a thriving, growing community in the Upper Midwest that provides a variety of retail, dining, musical, sporting events and outdoor activities.