Heart Screenings Save Lives
Your heart holds so much of who you are. Protect it with a heart screening from Sanford Health. This affordable, painless test gives you and your provider a better look at your risk for heart disease, helping you plan for your future heart care.
Give yourself some peace of mind with a heart screening. It could save your life.
What Your Heart Screen Includes:
- Cardiac calcium score: A heart scan or X-ray.
- EKG: Sensors on your skin can detect the electrical activity of your heart.
- Body mass index (BMI): Your doctor will use your height and weight to determine your BMI.
- Non-fasting cholesterol: High cholesterol typically has no symptoms, so it’s important to have your cholesterol levels checked with a quick finger poke.
- Blood pressure: Many people don’t know they have high blood pressure until they’ve been tested for it. So sit for a little arm squeeze.
- Framingham score: A risk estimate for developing heart disease in the next 10 years.
Benefits of a Heart Screen
Heart screens are accessible, affordable, and can make a long-term difference in your life. Early identification of serious conditions allows you and your doctor to make changes now and reduce or prevent problems later.
There are many causes of cardiovascular disease that can be controlled – but you have to know about them first.
Let your doctor know if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, smoking, high cholesterol or a family history of heart disease.
Visit a Heart Screening Location
Sanford Health conveniently offers heart screening throughout South Dakota, North Dakota and Minnesota.
Plus, get a discount when you get a heart screening and vascular screening together. Contact us to schedule a heart screening near you.
Cardiac Calcium Scoring
You can get a cardiac calcium score alone or as part of the heart screen. A cardiac calcium score is a fast, painless and non-invasive CT scan. It can detect the presence, location and extent of calcified plaque in the coronary arteries - and therefore your risk of heart attack within the next two to five years.
Cardiac Calcium Scoring is recommended for postmenopausal women and people who have:
- Family history of heart disease
- History of smoking or are currently a smoker
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Sedentary lifestyle
Sanford Health News
Classes & Events
Wed 05/22/19 5:00 PM - Wed 05/22/19 6:00 PM
Sanford UND Building - Bismarck
Tue 05/21/19 7:30 PM - Tue 05/21/19 9:00 PM