Catch Vascular Disease Early
A simple, painless screening could save your life. Your vascular system sends blood throughout your body, bringing vital nutrients to where they need to go. A vascular screening checks to make sure your veins and arteries are working properly. Know your risk and get peace of mind with an affordable test today.
What is a Vascular Screening?
At Sanford Health, your vascular screening includes:
- Stroke/carotid artery ultrasound: For this procedure, your doctor will use an ultrasound to screen your carotid arteries. If these arteries (located in your neck) are narrow, you're at an increased risk of stroke.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm ultrasound: An abdominal aortic aneurysm forms slowly and without warning. If left untreated, it can cause your aortic artery to burst or rupture. Using ultrasound imaging, this test checks for aneurysms and abnormalities.
- Ankle/brachial index: This test compares the blood pressure at your ankle and the blood pressure of your arm. Lower blood pressure in your leg suggests you may have peripheral artery disease.
- Venous screening: A physician will examine your veins through an ultrasound. They are looking for blockages or clogged veins.
Should You Get a Vascular Screening?
If you're at risk for vascular disease or have a personal or family history of cardiac disease, heart attack or stroke, get a screening done every three to five years. Type 1 diabetics should get screened at age 30 or older.
Tell your doctor if you have:
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Sore on feet or legs that are slow to heal
- Acing, cramping or pain in your limbs while exercising
- Family history of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)
Benefits of a Vascular Screening
A vascular screening checks for obstacles in your veins that are preventing them from doing their job. This includes plaque buildup, blockages or aneurysms. These issues can cause heart attacks and strokes. A vascular screening can catch these problems before they become serious.
These tests are painless and easy. Patients don't have to undress, exercise or draw blood. Costs vary by location, but vascular scans often cost less than $50. Know your risk and catch problems early with a vascular screening from Sanford Health.
Get a discount when you combine a heart screening with a vascular screening. Heart screenings evaluate your risk of heart disease. Early detection can save your life. Learn more about heart screenings.
Visit a Vascular Screening Location
Sanford Health conveniently offers heart screening throughout the Midwest. Plus, you get a discount when you get a heart screening and a vascular screening together.
To schedule your vascular test, search below for vascular screening locations near you.
Sanford Health News
Classes & Events
Mon 07/22/19 9:30 AM - Mon 07/22/19 11:30 AM
Sanford 2801 Medical Building
Mon 07/22/19 6:00 PM - Mon 07/22/19 9:00 PM
Sanford Health Plan - Bismarck