Treatment for Birthmarks and Vascular Anomalies
One in every 10 children in the United States is born with a vascular birthmark. These children have options. Visit Sanford Health’s vascular anomalies experts. We specialize in the treatment and removal of birthmarks.
It’s normal for parents to be worried about the proper diagnosis and treatment of their child’s birthmark. Fortunately, we’ve recently made many advances in diagnosis and treatment of these conditions. Our specialists will evaluate your child and determine the best medical, surgical or laser treatment.
What kind of birthmarks can be removed?
A birthmark is where blood vessels don't develop normally and are visible under the skin. Common blemishes include:
- Arteriovenous malformations, or a tangle of blood vessels in the spine or brain
- Hemangiomas, or a bright red bump on the skin caused by extra blood vessels
- Lymphatic malformations, or a mass on the head or neck
- Port wine stains, or a reddish-purple stain on the skin
- Venous malformation, or blue patches caused by malformed veins
Sanford Health News