When Paying Your Medical Bill is a Concern
Sanford Health offers financial assistance for emergency and other medically necessary services provided and billed through our centralized Patient Financial Services.
What is financial assistance?
Sanford hospitals and clinics, collectively Sanford, offer financial assistance for any emergency and any other medically necessary services provided and billed through our centralized Patient Financial Services. This assistance, ranging from a reduction in the amount of the balance outstanding up to complete forgiveness of the balance outstanding, is provided to patients demonstrating financial need.
How do I request financial assistance?
You have three options:
- Download the application online and send it to the address on the application.
- Contact a patient account representative at the phone number listed on your billing statement. Note: If your statement is not available, please contact our Patient Financial Services office at (877) 629-2999.
- Visit the registration representative at the clinic or hospital and they will be able to provide you with an application.
What do I need to include with my request for financial assistance?
Return the application completed in its entirety along with:
- A copy of your most recent complete tax return, including all schedules.
- Copies of the two most recent pay stubs for each wage earner in the household.
What should I expect?
Your application will be reviewed and a decision will be communicated to you within 30 days. All information is confidential. To qualify for Financial Assistance, your household income must be at or below 375% of the federal poverty level. Family size and household income determine this eligibility.
Exceptional circumstances may apply to applicants who own significant valued assets. Sanford may consider the value of an individual's assets in determining eligibility for financial assistance for care and services delivered at any Sanford facility, except facilities that are designated as National Health Service Corps (NHSC).
What if I need language assistance?
To view the Sanford Financial Assistance documents in your language, please access the link below. If you do not see your language, please contact our Patient Financial Services office at (877) 629-2999.