Surgery is not for everyone. If your BMI is 35 or greater and you have a chronic disease related to weight, you may be a candidate. If your BMI is 40 or above, you may qualify for bariatric surgery without associated health problems. Click here to access a BMI calculator.
Your success also depends on behavior and lifestyle modifications. At Sanford, we ask that you as a patient promise to:
- Make a commitment to change your lifestyle which includes a healthy diet, exercise and behavior modification
- Keep your post-operative appointments with the bariatric team
- Keep us informed of any address or phone number changes throughout your lifetime
- Attend support group meetings in your region
- Engage in regular exercise for 30 to 45 minutes five to six times a week for life
- Take the recommend supplements every day for life
- Get psychological counseling if your doctor recommends it
- Come and see us in the future if your weight maintenance becomes unsatisfactory
- Notify us if you’ve been hospitalized for problems related to your surgery
If you are worried about whether your insurance will cover your weight loss surgery, rest-assured as Sanford is the only program in the region to offer a patient navigator to help guide and assist you through the entire pre-surgery process. To learn more about financing and insurance, click here.