A Specialist in Rheumatology
Dr. Wais Afzal is a rheumatologist and strives to provide individualized patient care. He treats bone, joint and autoimmune disorders.
He specializes in these procedures:
- Arthrocentesis: Dr. Afzal will use a syringe to collect fluid from a joint to diagnose conditions such as gout, arthritis and certain infections.
- Intra-articular injections: Treating inflammatory joint disorders by delivering a shot to the afflicted joint. This procedure relieves pain.
- Bursal aspiration: Removing fluid from the joints using a syringe. This treats bursitis, a painful condition afflicting joints.
- Bursal injections: Steroid injections to soothe joint pain. These injections reduce inflammation and help relieve pain.
- Skin punch biopsies: This diagnostic technique removes a cylindrical core of skin that is only a few millimeters in diameter. This biopsy is used to diagnose skin disorders.
He mainly treats:
- Adult-onset Still’s disease
- Antiphospholipid syndrome
- Inflammatory myositis
- Mixed connective tissue disease
- Overlap syndromes
- Polymyalgia rheumatica
- Regional musculoskeletal disorders
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Seronegative spondyloarthritis
- Undifferentiated connective tissue disease
Dr. Afzal is an assistant professor of medicine at the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine.
Speaks: English, Persian, Dari, Pashtu
Ratings & Reviews
Real Experiences from Real Patients
You trust recommendations from real people. That's why we provide comments and star ratings from patients who answer our surveys after their visits to Sanford Health. Star ratings are based on a 0-100 point scale converted to 0-5 stars. Providers must have a minimum of 30 patient ratings to receive a formal rating.