Experts in Complex Contagious Diseases
If you're facing an infectious disease, see the specialists at Sanford Health.
We treat contagious and immunological diseases caused by bacteria, fungus, parasites or other infections.
At Sanford Health, you’ll find infectious disease specialists who are experts in identifying and treating illness in adults and children. We will work with other specialists to provide the best care.
We have locations across the Upper Midwest. In case you live farther away, your Sanford Health provider can schedule a virtual consultation with an infectious disease specialist through our telemedicine service.
Conditions We Treat
These conditions are often rare and complicated. They may include:
- Adenovirus infections
- Fifth disease
- Haemophilus influenzae infections
- Hand-foot-mouth disease
- Herpes simplex virus/cold sores
- Herpes zoster (shingles)
- Human parainfluenza viruses (HPIV)
- Infectious mononucleosis
- Lyme disease
- Meningococcal infections
Benefits of Vaccines
Of course, it’s best to prevent disease in the first place. Vaccines are key to preventing disease for several reasons:
- Vaccines benefit both the people who get them and the vulnerable, unvaccinated people around them.
- With so-called herd immunity, the infection can no longer spread through the community if most people are immunized.
- Vaccines reduce the number of deaths and disability from infections like measles, whooping cough and chickenpox.
Children get most of the vaccinations. But adults also need to be sure they are already immune to certain infections and stay up-to-date on certain vaccines, including varicella, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), shingles and the flu. Childhood illnesses, such as mumps, measles and chickenpox, can cause serious problems in adults.
Traveling and Infectious Diseases
Traveling abroad can put you at risk for infectious diseases that are not widespread in the U.S.
Travelers who become ill in a country where treatment for these diseases may be somewhat limited are even more at risk. All people planning travel should get informed about the potential hazards of the countries they are traveling to.