Caring for Heart Diseases in Children
Choose Sanford Children's Pediatric Cardiology for treating heart conditions in newborns through young adults. Our heart specialists provide expert treatment in a supportive, compassionate environment.
You and your child will partner with Sanford heart specialists. We specialize in diagnosing and treating problems of the heart, lungs and blood vessels. We provide complete evaluations, advanced treatments and therapies for the youngest heart patients.
At Sanford Children's Hospitals, you'll find care for pediatric heart conditions, including:
- Abnormal heart rhythm: If your child's heart beats irregularly, Sanford has answers. We offer non-surgical and surgical treatment options for this critical condition.
- Congenital heart disease: CHD includes any defect in the heart that is present at birth. Treatments depend on the severity of the deformity. Doctors treat CHD with medication, implanted devices, surgery, and in severe cases, a heart transplant.
- Congestive heart failure: A long-term condition in which the heart doesn't properly pump blood. Treatments vary depending on the severity of the disease. Your child could go on a diet plan, take medications or get an implanted device.
- Heart murmurs: Strange sounds made by irregular blood flow through the heart. They are common in children, and most are harmless. Your child will need further tests to make sure it isn’t connected to a more serious heart defect.
- Fainting (syncope): A condition in which a sudden drop in your child's heart rate causes fainting. It is usually treated with a plan to avoid stressful triggers. Some instances require medications or a pacemaker.
Our services include:
- Around-the-clock observation at intensive care units
- Diagnostic testing
- Exercise testing to test how your child's heart responds to stress
- Interventional cardiology, which involves inserting a flexible tube into the heart to treat cardiovascular diseases
- Using an ultrasound to look for heart abnormalities or diseases (echocardiography)
We're here to provide the highest quality pediatric heart care available today.
Sanford Health News
Gunner Olesen greets his challenges and his providers with a bright disposition.
Think ahead to prevent skin cancer, and know signs to watch for