A Home for Veterans
Sanford Health is dedicated to giving current and past military members exceptional care and employment opportunities.
As a provider, employer and partner of choice for veterans, we honor their sacrifices and offer a welcoming environment that supports military members and their families. At Sanford Health, you’ll find a variety of programs created especially for you. Explore your care programs and career opportunities below.
Exceptional Care for Patients
We work to support veterans and current military members with programs designed to meet their care needs.
Sanford Veterans Clubs: Our medical centers in Fargo, North Dakota, and Sioux Falls, South Dakota, welcome patients with military experience. Our Sanford Veterans Clubs are private, peaceful places with coffee, computer access and lounge areas featuring game tables and TV. Learn more about these amenities.
Veteran Ambassador Program: We actively seek out volunteers with a military background for our Veteran Ambassador Program. These volunteers visit fellow veteran patients to help make them feel at home during their hospital stays. Learn more about this program.
Veteran Hotline: The Sanford Veteran Information Hotline provides veterans with a single point of contact for questions. Call (800) 949-1848 to reach the hotline.
Opportunities for Veteran Employees
Sanford Health is a veteran- and military-friendly workplace. We’re here to offer benefits and employment programs to support you during and after your service.
Our programs include:
- Continuation of Benefits: Servicemen and servicewomen can continue their employment benefits during qualified military deployments.
- Differential Pay Policy: Sanford Health employees who are members of the National Guard or Army Reserve receive supplemental compensation during qualified military deployments of up to 12 months.
- Education Scholarships: Veterans or National Guard, Army Reserve or active-duty military service members are eligible for a $5,000 scholarship from Sanford Health.
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR): Sanford Health CEO and President Kelby Krabbenhoft signed a statement pledging to support the military services of employees and advocate for employee participation in the military.
- Remembering Everyone Deployed (R.E.D): All employees are encouraged to show their support and gratitude for deployed service members by wearing red shirts on Fridays.
- Veteran of the Year Award: Each year, we recognize a veteran employee for the work he or she does to influence the lives of others. This award encompasses all Sanford Health locations and regions.
- Partners for Youth Success (PaYS): Sanford Health partners with the United States Army to guarantee young military members an interview and possible employment after their military service.
Community Support for Veterans, Military Members & Their Families
Sanford Health works with a variety of organizations to support military families.
- American Legion
- Disabled American Veterans
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve
- Hire Heroes USA
- Military Officers Association of America
- Order of the Purple Heart
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Warriors Never Give Up
- Legends for Kids—Folds of Honor
- Sanford International—Veterans VIP Tent
- South Dakota Veterans Cemetery
- USS South Dakota Commissioning Ceremony
- Wings of Valor
Sanford Health Backs Veterans & Military Members
Sanford Health has created a department to support veterans and active military members. Midco Sports Network takes a look at that process, including involvement with the Wounded Warrior Amputee Football Team.
Fox Sports North: Sanford Supports Veterans
Sanford Health sponsored the Wounded Warrior Amputee Football Team's annual Game of Heroes event prior to Super Bowl LII in St. Paul. It's part of the health care company's dedication to veterans and military services. Fox Sports North reports.
Sanford Supports Game of Honor
During Super Bowl week, Sanford Health sponsored the Wounded Warrior Amputee Football Team game in St. Paul - and sent two busses of veterans along to support. It's part of the health system's commitment to support veterans and military service members. Also, Sanford provided orthopedics sports medicine support and a surprise guest: fullback C.J. Ham of the Minnesota Vikings.