A Home for Veterans
Sanford Health is dedicated to giving current and past military members exceptional care and employment opportunities.
As a provider, employer and partner of choice for veterans, we honor their sacrifices and offer a welcoming environment that supports military members and their families. At Sanford Health, you’ll find a variety of programs created especially for you. Explore your care programs and career opportunities below.
Exceptional Care for Patients
We work to support veterans and current military members with programs designed to meet their care needs.
Sanford Veterans Clubs: Our medical centers in Fargo, North Dakota, and Sioux Falls, South Dakota, welcome patients with military experience. Our Sanford Veterans Clubs are private, peaceful places with coffee, computer access and lounge areas featuring game tables and TV. Learn more about these amenities.
Veteran Ambassador Program: We actively seek out volunteers with a military background for our Veteran Ambassador Program. These volunteers visit fellow veteran patients to help make them feel at home during their hospital stays. Learn more about this program.
Veteran Hotline: The Sanford Veteran Information Hotline provides veterans with a single point of contact for questions. Call (800) 949-1848 to reach the hotline.
Opportunities for Veteran Employees
Sanford Health is a veteran- and military-friendly workplace. We’re here to offer benefits and employment programs to support you during and after your service.
Our programs include:
- Continuation of Benefits: Servicemen and servicewomen can continue their employment benefits during qualified military deployments.
- Differential Pay Policy: Sanford Health employees who are members of the National Guard or Army Reserve receive supplemental compensation during qualified military deployments of up to 12 months.
- Education Scholarships: Veterans or National Guard, Army Reserve or active-duty military service members are eligible for a $5,000 scholarship from Sanford Health.
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR): Sanford Health signed a statement pledging to support the military services of employees and advocate for employee participation in the military.
- Remembering Everyone Deployed (R.E.D): All employees are encouraged to show their support and gratitude for deployed service members by wearing red shirts on Fridays.
- Veteran of the Year Award: Each year, we recognize a veteran employee for the work he or she does to influence the lives of others. This award encompasses all Sanford Health locations and regions.
- Partners for Youth Success (PaYS): Sanford Health partners with the United States Army to guarantee young military members an interview and possible employment after their military service.
Community Support for Veterans, Military Members & Their Families
Sanford Health cares for veterans and their families and wants to connect you with the services you need and deserve.
The surviving spouse, child or parent of a service member who died while serving may qualify for bereavement counseling through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs’ Vet Centers. Bereavement counseling, also known as “grief counseling,” provides support for people after the death of a loved one.
VA benefits for Spouses, Dependents, Survivors and Family Caregivers
Spouses and dependent children of a veteran or service member may qualify for:
- Health care
- Life insurance
- Money to assist with school or training
Survivors of a veteran or service member may also qualify for added benefits including help with burial costs and survivor compensation. Learn more about family member benefits.
National Association of County Veterans Service Officers
Need assistance? Want advice?
County Veterans Service Officers help veterans and their families access the benefits and support they need. They offer specialized knowledge of available services and a compassionate understanding of the problems veterans and their loved ones face.
Sanford Health works with a variety of organizations to support military families.
- American Legion
- Disabled American Veterans
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve
- Hire Heroes USA
- Military Officers Association of America
- Order of the Purple Heart
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Warriors Never Give Up
- Legends for Kids—Folds of Honor
- Sanford International—Veterans VIP Tent
- South Dakota Veterans Cemetery
- USS South Dakota Commissioning Ceremony
- Wings of Valor
Longtime pilot, veteran retires after fulfilling career
Military veteran Gary Dykstra became a helicopter pilot for Sanford after a long career as a U.S. Army officer and pilot. He chose to work in health care because the Guard unit he belonged to was a medevac unit. The 70-year-old recently retired after 12 years of service.
ER nurses are a team at work and at home
Jake and Jenna Burton appreciate the flexibility and family atmosphere at Sanford Health. The veterans met in nursing school and later married before coming to work at Sanford Health. They work together in the ER to fulfill a duty of service to others.
Recruits train with experts from Sanford Sports
New recruits for the South Dakota Army National Guard get a monthly crash course from fitness experts at Sanford Sports Performance before they head to basic training. From nutrition to sports physical therapy and more, Sanford Health aims to be a go-to resource for military members.
Sanford scholarship available for military members, vets
The Sanford Health Military and Veteran Scholarship provides four $5,000 scholarships annually to veterans, Guard/Reserve members or active-duty military service members who are full-time students with at least one full year of education remaining.