Care for Children’s Respiratory Diseases
A lung or chest ailment can keep children from doing what they love. It affects every aspect of a child’s life, from school to play to sports. Sanford Children’s Pulmonology is here to help.
Our primary concern is your child’s quality of life. We use advanced diagnostic techniques to identify the cause of your child’s respiratory distress and use up-to-date, evidence-based treatments to manage acute and long-term respiratory conditions.
We treat pulmonary issues in infants to young adults using innovative techniques and technologies. When your child needs care for chest or breathing conditions, see Sanford Children’s Pulmonology.
For physicians: Refer a patient to Sanford Health.
Specialized Care for Lung Disorders
At Sanford Children’s, our patients have a specialized care team working for their health and well-being. Your child’s care team will include primary care providers, specialists, nurses and family, all working to help your child breathe easier.
- Aspiration: Accidentally inhaling a solid object or fluid into the windpipe or lungs.
- Asthma: A long-term lung problem that causes a child’s airway to narrow when exposed to certain triggers.
- Chronic Lung Disease (bronchopulmonary dysplasia): Long-term breathing problems in premature babies, such as the need for a breathing machine or for extra oxygen.
- Chronic respiratory failure: When a patient needs help from a breathing machine due to a chronic disease attacking the respiratory system.
- Chronic/recurring cough: This could be a sign of an underlying respiratory ailment.
- Cystic fibrosis: Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disorder where mucus clogs up certain parts of the body, including airways in the lungs.
- Sleep apnea: When children briefly stop breathing during the night, disrupting their sleep. It is most common in children 3 to 6 years old.
Sanford Health is proud to be a Cystic Fibrosis Care Center.
Visit Sanford Children’s Pulmonology for comprehensive respiratory care for children. Find a specialist or clinic near you.
Sanford Health News
Classes & Events
Tue 09/21/21 3:00 PM - Tue 09/21/21 5:00 PM
Sanford Worthington Clinic
Tue 09/21/21 4:00 PM - Tue 09/21/21 5:00 PM