Care for Children with Heart Conditions
Visit Sanford Health for expert treatment of heart conditions in newborns through young adults. Our heart specialists provide advanced care using the latest heart care technologies in a compassionate, healing environment that puts kids first.
Sanford Children’s pediatric heart doctors diagnose and treat problems of the heart, lungs and blood vessels in children. We provide complete care to keep the hearts of our youngest patients pumping properly.
You and your child will partner with a team of health care specialists. We believe in taking a collaborative approach to children’s care. Your care team will include your child’s primary care provider, registered nurses and several heart specialists.
For physicians: Refer a patient to Sanford Health.
Cardiac Conditions in Children
We use the latest treatment techniques and technologies to help keep your child as healthy as possible.
- Abnormal heart rhythm: If your child’s heart beats irregularly, Sanford Health has answers. We offer non-surgical and surgical treatment options for this critical condition.
- Congenital heart disease: CHD includes any defect in the heart that is present at birth. Treatments depend on the condition’s severity. Doctors treat CHD with medication, implanted devices, surgery and, in severe cases, a heart transplant.
- Congestive heart failure: A long-term condition in which the heart doesn’t properly pump blood. Treatments vary depending on the severity of the disease. Your child could go on a diet plan, take medications or get an implanted device.
- Heart murmurs: Strange sounds made by irregular blood flow through the heart. They are common in children, and most are harmless. Your child will need further tests to make sure it isn’t connected to a more serious heart problem.
- Fainting (syncope): A condition in which a sudden drop in your child’s heart rate causes fainting. Our heart doctors will work with your child to help them make plans to avoid stressful triggers. Some cases require medications or a pacemaker.
We’re here to give your child the highest quality pediatric heart care available. Our services include:
- Around-the-clock observation at intensive care units
- Diagnostic testing
- Exercise testing to check how your child’s heart responds to stress
- Interventional cardiology, which involves inserting a flexible tube into the heart to treat cardiovascular diseases
- Using an ultrasound to look for heart abnormalities or diseases (echocardiography)
Find a doctor or location near you.
Sanford Health News
With few visitors allowed, patients get to wave through their windows
Here are some tips for taking precautions with kids, too