Go 100 for Health Week of June 23
Tell us about week 4
Enter your healthy choices you made into this survey to win prizes. Winners will be notified by phone or e-mail. You must be registered to win prizes. (Note: This survey will close Monday, June 30, 2008 at 5:00 p.m.)
Take the survey.
Tips for Exercising Outdoors in the meritcare.com health library:
Read about Exercising Outdoors
Exercisers must adjust to summer heat, humidity
Family Briefs: "Playing Outdoors" safety guide
Health Tip: Exercising in Hot Weather
Tips for Exercising Outdoors
* Wear sunscreen - at least 15 SPF, even on cloudy days
* Dress appropriately for weather conditions: wear layers of cool, light, moisture wicking materials
* Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes
* Wear a hat
* Wear chapstick - lips are sensitive
* Be aware of medication which can cause sun sensitivity
* Avoid peek hours of sunlight between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. for high endurance activities
* Rest often so you don't overheat
* Be aware of your surroundings and the area you are in
* Know what to do if in trouble or need assistance and carry identification in case of emergency
* Choose a path or route with some shade and benches for resting
* Know any allergy reactions you may have
* Drink plenty of fluids - water is best!
Monday Fitness Fun Nights
Don't forget about Monday Fitness Nights! Each Monday we'll meet at MeritCare Southpointe and go on a 3-mile walk, introduce some new exercises and give you the opportunity to talk to the experts on exercise and nutrition. We'll hold prize drawings, give tours of the Lifelong Fitness gym and offer free 7 day passes to all those that attend. Passes are good for all services in the gym plus the group exercise classes. Over 90 people walked last week. Hope to see you at next week's event:
Monday, June 30 at 7 p.m.
MeritCare Southpointe 2400 32nd Ave. S., Fargo
If you do not live in the Fargo area, you can start your own walking club and tell us about it. We will list the information on the Classes and Events page of meritcare.com so others can join you or find out about a club already started in your town.
Upcoming walking clubs in the region:
* Christine, ND Next walk: Monday, June 30, 6 p.m. 105 5th St. Christine, ND
* Detroit Lakes, MN Next walk: Monday, July 7, 5:15 p.m. 1245 Washington Avenue, Detroit Lakes, MN
* East Grand Forks, MN Next walk: Monday, July 14, 7 p.m. 929 Central Ave, East Grand Forks
* Bemidji, MN Kick-off walk: Tuesday, July 1, 5:30 p.m. registration; 6 p.m. walk - 1233 34th Street NW, Bemidji, MN
Keep up the good work and we hope to see you at the next Monday Fitness Night. We encourage you to send this message on to your friends and others and motivate them to sign up too! Go 100 for Health.