The family of the young child from Fargo, N.D., who is presumed to have meningitis is allowing MeritCare to release some information.
The family of the young child from Fargo, N.D., who is presumed to have meningitis is allowing MeritCare to release the following information:
- The child is female.
- She is currently in serious condition, and is improving.
- She is hospitalized in MeritCare Children's Hospital.
- Everyone that has been in contact with the child has been contacted; they then have the option re: whether or not they want to be treated. This work is coordinated by the North Dakota Department of Health.
- The preventive treatment is to take antibiotics.
- We are saying that it's presumed that the child has meningococcal meningitis, but it has not yet been confirmed.
- The child was admitted to MeritCare on Monday, April 14, 2008.
The following information will not be released:
- The child's name, or the name of her family members
- The child's age
In addition, the family and their friends do not want to be contacted by the media, so we ask that you please respect their wishes.