- The child is female.
- She is currently in serious condition, and is improving.
- She is hospitalized in MeritCare Children's Hospital.
- Everyone that has been in contact with the child has been contacted; they then have the option re: whether or not they want to be treated. This work is coordinated by the North Dakota Department of Health.
- The preventive treatment is to take antibiotics.
- We are saying that it's presumed that the child has meningococcal meningitis, but it has not yet been confirmed.
- The child was admitted to MeritCare on Monday, April 14, 2008.
The following information will not be released:
- The child's name, or the name of her family members
- The child's age
In addition, the family and their friends do not want to be contacted by the media, so we ask that you please respect their wishes.