My Sanford Chart allows you secure online access to your personal health information and your child's health information. It's available anywhere you have internet access. There is no cost to you and registering is quick and simple.

Sign Up for My Sanford Chart

Healthy New Years Resolutions How a Health Behavior Coach can help you make the most out of 2008

For years people have known “what” to do to be healthier … there is plenty of information out there regarding the topic. The question remains, why do people not respond to the education with action? In reality, people need a strategic healthy living plan — and a Health Behavior Coach can help.

For years people have known “what” to do to be healthier … there is plenty of information out there regarding the topic. The question remains, why do people not respond to the education with action? In reality, people need a strategic healthy living plan — and a Health Behavior Coach can help. Through the coaching process individuals can talk through strategies, needs, and goals. Then the Health Behavior Coach can design a personal health action plan, one that is both meaningful and achievable for the specific needs of the individual.

“I understood when my physician told me what I needed to do to improve my health. I made many attempts to make those changes on my own, but I just couldn’t stick with it. The Health Behavior Coach helped me set attainable goals and gave me the support I needed to make changes that eventually became healthy habits,” says Misty Barber, who recently worked with a Health Behavior Coach to create a personalized health action plan.

“Health coaching uses a powerful blend of clinical and behavioral expertise. Health coaches are trained in motivational interviewing strategies, which are designed to help individuals resolve ambivalence toward behavior change. Through the coaching process people determine they want to work towards healthier behaviors and they choose to take on the goals,” says Paige Rock, Health Behavior Coach at Mutch Women’s Center for Health Enrichment.

The coaching philosophy believes individuals know themselves best. Participants are asked to think through what they want and identify what strategies will be most useful to them. Their coach listens carefully and asks strategic questions to help the participant determine their goals and provide follow up encouragement to obtain them. This practice creates an ownership and accountability factor in the change process to create action and results. Just “telling” people what do doesn’t work. Uncovering barriers and giving them confidence to make changes and make those changes stick does work.

Changing to healthier lifestyle habits is certainly worth the effort. Roughly 30% of aging is attributed to genetics, but the remaining 70% is up to you and your lifestyle choices! Consider eating better, quitting smoking, or exercising. All of these things have an effect on your body’s aging process. Today is the perfect day to start taking action for a healthier you.

To learn more about Health Behavior Coaching, call Mutch Women’s Center for Health Enrichment at (605) 328-7155 or visit Mutch Women's Center for Health Enrichment.