- Work with assigned child or group of children on an assigned task.
- Assist the child life staff in supervising, cleaning and stocking playrooms maintained by the child life program.
- Visit patients in their rooms. Volunteers play games, work on art projects, talk, rock or feed babies, etc.
- Accompany children (patients or family members) to the playroom/Cully’s Cabin or other scheduled child life activities.
- Provide respite for parents who wish to take a break.
- Help with special events or special visitors. Child life often hosts events to help entertain patients and families. Volunteers may be asked to help invite and bring patients to the location of the event, assist with/conduct tours for individuals or groups who have come to visit the patients, or pass out items that have been donated for the patients.
- Offer constructive, safe, and appropriate choices for patients and families.
- Be a good role model for families and promote a fun, enjoyable atmosphere.
- Provide continuity of care by giving regular feedback to the child life staff on the activities and status of patients.
Orientation, Training and Evaluations:
All volunteers need to attend the general orientation to Sanford with the Volunteer Services program prior to assignment to a site. Each prospective volunteer will meet with CLS to review job responsibilities, policies and the items on the Cully’s Cabin orientation checklist, and to have any possible questions answered prior to beginning the volunteer experience. Training and evaluation are an on-going process. Site supervisors will complete an annual evaluation.
Adhere to hospital policy on confidentiality. See Volunteer Handbook.
Expectations for this Position:
The volunteer is responsible, flexible and maintains confidentiality. The patients and visitors are treated with kindness and respect. Volunteers keep safety a top priority. Volunteers need to be at least 18 years old and a high school graduate to serve in this position. Volunteers will call the Child Life Specialists when they cannot come in to volunteer. Volunteers will not report to volunteer when they are ill or contagious. Volunteers will complete 6 months, 1 semester or 50 hours of volunteer work as a part of this commitment.
- Monday – Friday, 9:30 am–noon; 1:30–4 pm; 4-6 pm; 6-9pm;
Saturday and Sunday, 10 am–1 pm or 1–4 pm;
Shifts are typically 2-3 hours
- Aged 18 and up.