Volunteer Opportunities in the Fargo Region
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Sanford Health. We appreciate your community spirit and look forward to welcoming you to our family of caregivers.Current Volunteer Opportunities
We require that:
- Volunteers are at least 17 years old; some positions require a minimum age of 18 years old and a high school graduate.
- Able to communicate clearly in English.
- Committing to at least 50 hours of volunteer service (about 3-4 hours a week).
- We cannot accept volunteers who are meeting court-mandated community service hours.
Qualifications for volunteers will be assessed during the interview process. All volunteers are to complete a Sanford Health Volunteer Application and where questions of competence exist, references will be checked. Every volunteer will receive full orientation regardless of where and how long they will provide services for Sanford.
Orientation will include:
- Review of Volunteer Handbook (which includes information on confidentiality, volunteer responsibilities, uniform policy, infection control and precautions, emergency codes)
- Required background check
- TB (Mantoux) testing
- As of May 1st, 2013, Sanford requires a copy of your immunization records to be submitted to Volunteer Services.
All of the above must be completed prior to starting to volunteer at Sanford. If a past employee of Sanford applies to volunteer, Human Resources - Employee Relations will be contacted in order to determine if the past employee should work in a volunteer capacity.
Due to the time and expense it takes volunteers to complete the qualification process, we do require that you give us a six-month commitment. However, we do make exceptions for college students and require at least a semester of their volunteer time. By completing a six-month commitment, it gives our volunteers far more experience within our health system. It also affords us more opportunity to observe our volunteers in action, allowing us to give a more thorough letter of recommendation, when requested.
FULL YEAR PROGRAM
Our full year program is for individuals who commit to volunteering for a full year (12 months) or longer. Individuals are required to commit to volunteering a minimum of two or more shifts each month. Shifts are 3-4 hours in length and the same shift each week.
SUMMER PROGRAM 2013
Our summer program begins May 13 through mid/late August. Applications are due by May 10. Individuals are required to volunteer 30 hours during the season and must commit to one shift per week. Shifts are 3-4 hours in length and the same shift each week. Orientation sessions for the Summer will be:
- May 11, 2013 from 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Downtown hospital campus
- May 18, 2013 from 1:30 – 4:30 p.m. Downtown hospital campus
SCHOOL YEAR PROGRAM 2012-2013
Our school year program is divided into two semesters:
- Fall Semester – September 4 – December 14. 2012. Applications are due by September 7. Individuals are required to volunteer 50 hours during the semester and must commit to one shift per week. Shifts are 3-4 hours in length and the same shift each week. Orientation sessions for the Fall Semester will be:
- September 15, 2012 from 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Downtown hospital campus
- September 29, 2012 from 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Downtown hospital campus
- Winter Semester – January 7 – May 17, 2013. Applications are due by January 11. Individuals are required to volunteer 50 hours during the semester and must commit to one shift per week. Shifts are 3-4 hours in length and the same shift each week. Orientation sessions for the Winter Semester will be:
- January 12, 2013 from 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Downtown hospital campus
- January 19, 2013 from 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Downtown hospital campus
For more information about volunteering at Sanford Health in the Fargo region, please contact our Director of Volunteer Services:
Sanford Volunteer Services: Fargo, ND
PO Box 2010
Fargo, ND 58122-0242