MedSafe Medication Disposal System
A safe, secure, convenient way to dispose of unused medications
Sanford Bemidji is fighting back against the dangers of unneeded, unused and expired medications by offering the MedSafe Medication Disposal System. The drop box is available in the Sanford Bemidji 1611 Anne St. Pharmacy. Sanford Health Foundation and the Friends of Sanford Health helped make this project possible.
What is a MedSafe container?
It is a self-use disposal system for unused or expired medications. The double-locked steel collection container meets the requirements of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s (DEA) Controlled Substances Act.
It provides you a safe, secure and convenient place to dispose of unwanted, unused or expired controlled (schedules II-V) and non-controlled medications. This much-needed service can help reduce the chance of unintended and illegal use of drugs by providing our community with a safe disposal option.
What can be placed in the MedSafe container?
- Pills, tablets, capsules
- Ointments, creams and lotions
- Liquid medicines
- Solutions, suspensions
- Liquids must be no more than 4 ounces and in their original containers, wrapped in a paper towel and sealed in a plastic bag.
What can’t be placed in the MedSafe container?
- Aerosol spray cans*
- Alcohol or hydrogen peroxide
- Needles, syringes or sharps containers
- More than 4 oz. of liquid*
- Mercury thermometers*
- Home-based care (HBC) or durable medical equipment (DME) supplies
- No Schedule I illegal drugs, such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin or meth
*Contact your community’s household hazardous waste department or local transfer station.
Where can medications be disposed?
Two locations in Bemidji are accepting household pharmaceuticals:
- Sanford Bemidji 1611 Anne St. Pharmacy
- Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Saturday-Sunday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Bemidji Law Enforcement Center, 613 Minnesota Ave NW
- Lobby Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., Saturday-Sunday, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Medication should be left in the packaging it was dispensed in, or loose pills can be placed in a zip-top bag.
- MedSafe can only accept unused medication from patients or patients’ caregivers. Inventory from a pharmacy or other health care facility is NOT acceptable.
- If the pharmacy is closed, do NOT leave medication outside the pharmacy
Visit the Sanford 1611 Anne St. Pharmacy and speak with a staff member.
Posted Date: November 2017