Gassen Radiology Center
Pediatric radiology services available in the Gassen Radiology Center at Sanford Children's Hospital in Sioux Falls, SD are under the direction of Susan Duffek, MD , a fellowship-trained Pediatric Radiologist. Dr. Duffek is a specially-trained expert who can select and interpret the appropriate imaging studies necessary for the diagnosis of medical and surgical problems in children of all ages.
Tailored to children, the Gassen Radiology Center provides:
- Dedicated Pediatric Imaging
- On-site, core group of technologists led by Pediatric Radiologist
- The first children’s facility in the nation to offer new CT technology to patients that significantly reduces a child’s radiation exposure during a CT scan.
- The new Adaptive Statistical Iterative Reconstruction (ASIR) technology works with GE’s 64-slice CT scanner to reduce radiation levels by 30-40 percent while still providing quality images.
- Prior to adding the technology, Sanford Children’s physicians and radiologists were already manually reducing radiation levels by 30 percent. Combining ASIR with these Sanford protocols means around a 60 percent reduced exposure to patients compared to the original CT scanner.
- Portable X-Ray machine in the design of a fire engine
- Travels to patient rooms
- Fire engine design helps reduce patient fears
- Child Life Specialists
- Artwork integrated throughout the "Land of Deep Blue Waters"
- Child friendly waiting area
- Touch 2 Play System (electronic game for all ages)
- Brio® Train Table
- Patient Family Advocates to assist families through the imaging process
Pediatric protocols also guide MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and interventional procedures, available on the Sanford USD Medical Center Campus, when used in diagnostic testing of children.
Dr. Duffek and her staff will make sure that testing is performed properly and safely. All procedures are tailored for the minimum amount of radiation necessary to complete the exam. The equipment, procedures and staff are oriented to the special needs of children. Using advanced imaging technologies and kid-friendly protocols, the Gassen Radiology Center at Sanford Children’s Hospital in Sioux Falls provides specialized imaging services for your child.
Posted Date: April 2011