From headaches to back pain to neurological disorders, living with a serious neurological illness can impact every part of someone’s life.
Specialized Care for All Patients
From headaches to back pain to neurological disorders, living with a serious neurological illness can impact every part of someone’s life. Understanding how to manage the symptoms of a neurological illness can seem overwhelming. Whether it’s a long time illness or a new diagnosis, the Neuroscience Center of Excellence at Sanford USD Medical Center can help.
This Center of Excellence includes the physicians with:
Every day, these expert physicians treat patients who have been diagnosed with neurological conditions such as brain tumors, stroke, traumatic brain injury, spine disorders and birth defects of the brain and spinal cord; as well as those with neurological problems such as headache, multiple sclerosis (MS), Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, neuromuscular and other related disorders that may require conservative care or minimally invasive surgery.
For patients, this dedicated Center of Excellence means specialized and individualized care for stroke patients from the emergency department to rehabilitation. For Parkinson’s patients, the Center offers innovative procedures such as Deep Brain Stimulation.
What Makes Sanford Unique:
- A customized treatment plan based on the latest research
- Minimally invasive options
- Physician collaboration from a variety of specialties
- Leading-edge technology
- Sanford neurologists work as a team to provide the very latest in neurological care, offering a personalized treatment program with the right answers and the best care
- A regional MS Center recognized by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society — MS Multidisciplinary Clinic established in 1999
- Parkinson’s Multidisciplinary Clinic since 1999
- Skilled neurosurgeons who provide care for common spinal conditions such as sciatica, “slipped” discs, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, neck and back pain with minimally invasive spine surgery to innovative spinal fusions
- Sanford Spine Center provides patient focused care for back and neck issues: patients and their referring physicians are led through a process of assessment and treatment ranging from specialized physical therapy to aggressive non-surgical management, and if necessary, delicate spine surgery
Sanford Health recognizes the importance of an integrated approach to healthcare which is the driving force behind the Neuroscience Center of Excellence. By combining clinical excellence from multiple disciplines, the services within the Van Demark Building provide the best possible care for patients and their families. These groups of professionals work together to observe, assess, educate and guide patients all in one convenient location.
- Charles Miller, MD : Neurosurgery & Spine
- Bryan Wellman, MD : Neurosurgery & Spine
- Susan Assam, MD : Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Thomas Boetel, DO : Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Christopher Janssen, MD : Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Peter Johnson, MD : Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- John Hansen, MD : Pain Management
- Kathryn Florio, DO : Inpatient Neurology
- Jerome Freeman, MD : Neurology
- Eugenio Matos, MD : Neurology
- Gary Miller, MD : Neurology
- Wilson Asfora, MD : Neurosurgery & Spine
- Troy Gust, MD : Neurosurgery & Spine