What is Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Research?
Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Research is dedicated to improving the quality of patient care. As a diverse branch of Sanford Orthopedics, we use a team approach and enlist the help of:
- Physical therapists
- Athletic trainers
- Performance specialists
We thoroughly evaluate new treatments to help our orthopedics providers give the best care possible.
Why is our work important?
Orthopedics has many opportunities for innovation and advances. Research is essential to make sure any new treatment option is safe and effective for you and your loved ones.
What is Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Research doing?
Our research encompasses the total, diverse field of orthopedics and sports medicine. We believe that every provider and clinician is a scientist to some extent. We work as a team to tackle questions related to orthopedic health.
Some of our current projects include:
- ACL injury risk factors and return-to-play decision-making
- Using orthobiologics to treat osteoarthritis
- 3D printing
- Concussion research
We’re also evaluating clinical outcomes research in:
- Sports medicine
- Orthopedic trauma
- Pediatric orthopedics
- Hand surgery
- Joint replacement
Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Research is also one of few organizations in the country with a Food and Drug Administration-approved stromal vascular fraction registry. No one else in our region offers this.
How does Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Research make a difference in orthopedic care?
We are physician-driven and strive to do research that will advance the standard of care for our patients
Our research benefits:
- Patients and families. Our team can quickly and collaboratively focus on issues relevant to patients.
- Partners and communities. We have the advantage of working within a large organization and serving multiple, diverse communities. That means our community partners benefit from research based on large datasets that can be quickly implemented for the patients we serve.
- Physicians and the larger medical community. The pooling of resources allows for faster research to help physicians make informed decisions about better treatments.
- Teachers, students and future physicians. Sanford Research is a teaching institution. Our clinical residencies are training and educating the medical community of tomorrow. We offer residencies in orthopedic surgery, podiatry, orthopedic physical therapy, and orthotics and prosthetics.
How can people participate in orthopedic research?
You can participate in an orthopedic clinical trial by simply enrolling. If you’re eligible, you’ll help researchers find better ways to treat orthopedic conditions. You’ll contribute to medical research, and you could be the first to receive a revolutionary treatment. Talk to your physician to learn more.
About Our Labs
Sanford Health News