As part of Oral, Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Month, Sanford Aberdeen Clinic will offer free screenings for oral, head and neck cancer.
The screening is painless and takes about 15 minutes. Limited appointments are available. People do not need to be a current Sanford Health patient to schedule a free screening.
The signs and symptoms of oral cancer often go unnoticed. However, there are a few signs associated with these cancers that require immediate attention, including:
- Red or white patches in the mouth that do not heal
- Change in voice or hoarseness that lasts more than four weeks
- Sore throat that last longer than four weeks
- Weight loss from throat pain
- Pain or swelling in the mouth or neck that does not get better
- Lump in the neck
Additional risk factors include those who are 40 or older, those who have human papillomavirus (HPV) and those who use tobacco or drink alcohol.
Early diagnosis is important to treating these cancers without significant complications, and the chances of survival greatly increase.