Three sites recognized as Stage 6 in HIMSS EMR Adoption Model
(Sioux Falls, SD) – Sanford USD Medical Center, Sanford Fargo Medical Center and Sanford Aberdeen Medical Center have earned a “Stage 6” status on the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model. The honor recognizes Sanford Health’s dedication to implement technology that improves patient safety and care.
“The ‘Stage 6’ designation demonstrates Sanford Health’s dedication to provide the highest levels of patient safety and quality care,” said Arlyn Broekhuis, Chief Information Officer for Sanford Health. “The recognition from HIMSS is a testament to the hard work and dedication of the entire staff at Sanford Health.”
Currently, only 394 of the more than 5,300 U.S. hospitals tracked by HIMSS Analytics have reached Stage 6 on EMRAM. Stage 7 is the highest level attainable. Sanford Health will continue to work toward a “Stage 7” status, which means patients information will be shared without paper. By operating in a paperless environment, Sanford Health will be able to share patient data to improve process performance, quality of care and patient safety.
Currently Sanford Health has more than 2.7 million patients in their master patient index. More than 54,000 Sanford Health patients access their health records electronically and Sanford Health Providers electronically prescribe over 185,000 prescriptions per month.
HIMSS states that its "Stage 6" designation indicates that a hospital:
• Has made significant executive commitments and investments to reach this stage;
• Appear to have a significant advantage over competitors for patient safety, clinician support, clinician recruitment, and competitive marketing for both consumers and nurse recruitment;
• Have almost fully automated/paperless medical records when implementing its information technology applications across most of the inpatient care settings;
• Is either starting to evaluate data for care delivery process improvements or has already documented significant improvements in this area;
• Has made investments that are within reach of most hospitals and recognizes the strategic value of improving patient care with electronic medical records;
• Has begun to create strategic alignments with its medical staff to effectively utilize information technology to improve the patient safety environment; and
• Is well positioned to provide data to key stakeholders, such as payers, the government, physicians, consumers, and employers, to support electronic health record environments and health information exchanges.
For more information about HIMSS, click here.
About Sanford Health
Sanford Health is an integrated health system headquartered in the Dakotas and is now the largest, rural, not-for-profit health care system in the nation with locations in 126 communities in eight states. In addition, Sanford Health is in the process of developing international clinics in Ireland, Ghana, Israel and Mexico.
Sanford Health includes 35 hospitals, 140 clinic locations and 1,200 physicians in 70 specialty areas of medicine. With more than 25,000 employees, Sanford Health is the largest employer in North and South Dakota. The system is experiencing dynamic growth and development in conjunction with Denny Sanford's nearly $700 million in gifts, the largest ever to a health care organization in America. These gifts are making possible the implementation of several initiatives including global children's clinics, multiple research centers and finding cures for type 1 diabetes and breast cancer. For more information, please visit sanfordhealth.org.
Sanford Media Relations – Sioux Falls Region
(605) 366-2432 / Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow me on Twitter @SanfordJessica