* A pro football player catches the winning touchdown pass, but lands badly -- and breaks a bone.
* A high school athlete trains hard to compete in the state meet, but ends her day in the locker room, barely able to walk.
* Your weekend includes shooting hoops with your kids. It’s great fun, but what’s with this aching shoulder?
* Your 80-year-old mom’s living on her own and doing well -- until she falls on a patch of ice and fractures a hip.
Four entirely different scenarios, but all point in one direction: the world-class care of Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, team of experts led by Dr. Mark Lundeen. A well known orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Lundeen has treated a diverse range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries from the recreational to elite athlete (including U.S. Olympic Ski Team) to patients in need of total joint replacement. Today he leads a group of over 40 specialists, all committed to delivering a broad spectrum of care in what has become the region’s first choice destination center for orthopedics and sports medicine care.
“Our mission is to provide the very best orthopedic care for each and every person,” says Dr. Lundeen. “It’s a myth that the level of care provided to a professional athlete differs from the care provided to a recreational or high school athlete. At Sanford, our goal is to employ the exact same strategies in every patient we see -- athlete or not.”
With clinics in Bemidji, Fargo, Sioux Falls and Worthington, Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine is built on an acclaimed team of orthopedic specialists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, athletic trainers, nutritionists and exercise specialists. This wide-ranging team pioneers the depth and breadth of care provided to patients of all ages and conditions.
So what does this mean for you? It means you and your family have the advanced care you need for all types of musculoskeletal and athletic injuries: bone and joint disease, joint replacements, injuries related to work, accidents, falls, sports and recreational activities, and more.
And you have care when you need it. Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine offers a variety of walk-in acute care services, direct access from referring healthcare providers and Certified Athletic Trainer coverage for many schools and events in the region. The key to returning to performance is expertise and access.
Care beyond the expected
Top-level care at Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine focuses on a precise diagnosis and a team approach to treatment and rehabilitation. Highlights include:
- The latest in orthopedic treatment and rehabilitation services.
- Individualized attention. Energized, highly trained athletic trainers and physical therapists provide one-on-one support during recovery to help rebuild strength and improve conditioning. The goal: patients can recover from their injuries as quickly as possible -- but always safely.
- Wide-ranging support to meet individual performance and fitness goals.
- Commitment to injury prevention. This commitment includes fitness training, physiologic and neuro-cognitive assessments (ImPACT sport concussions), personal fitness consulting and instruction. “We want to ensure patients are fully ready, whether they’re returning to the playing field -- or to their active, full lives,” says Dr. Lundeen.
But there’s more: “Sanford’s organizational structure allows our group of orthopedic surgeons to lead the way in new technology and innovation. We’re able to come together, share our knowledge and improve care for the people we serve. That’s very exciting!” says Dr. Lundeen. One major initiative that we are working on is the development of a bone and wound healing research center. The center will develop innovative technologies for fracture fixation and implant design, thus improving patient care.
Dr. Lundeen underscores that these technologies are not just for athletes. “We’re committed to bringing advanced care to a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine patients. The highest level of care, compassion and applied technology to every patient,” says Dr. Lundeen.
Welcome to the National Institute for Athletic Health & Performance
Yes, you’ll find elite athletes at Sanford’s National Institute for Athletic Health & Performance. Athletes of all levels as well as active individuals may access the expertise available here.
Unique in the nation, this center serves a dual role:
- Conducts research used in setting standards for safety and performance policies for appropriate exercise, training and sports participation.
- Provides professional services for athletes and teams including heat stress testing, detailed physiological evaluations in a controlled environmental chamber, fitness testing, sports nutrition, consulting and assessments on the athletic field.
“Performance enhancement can apply to the elite athlete as well as the developing athlete,” says Dr. Lundeen. “We’re here for anyone who wants to excel and perform at their very best.”
Of special note, Sanford has partnered with the world’s largest and most recognized sports medicine association, American College of Sports Medicine, to form the National Youth Sports Health and Safety Institute. More information on this partnership can be found at www.nyshsi.org.
So that injury from catching the football? That strain from intense training? That sore shoulder from playing with the kids? That fractured hip from taking a fall?
Bring them all to the team of experts at Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine -- where everybody wins!
Posted Date: January 2012