Who Can I Talk to About My Parents' Drinking Problem?

My parents have a drinking problem, but every time I try to talk about it they say I shouldn't worry and they're getting help. Who can I talk to?

Having a parent with a drinking problem or other addiction can be extremely tough. Alcohol and other addictions affect everyone in a family — but sometimes parents don't realize this.

Even when parents are getting the help they need, sons and daughters have their own questions, concerns, emotions, and needs to sort through. Talking about all this with someone — whether it's a friend, counselor, or religious leader — is a healthy thing to do.

Alateen is an international resource for people in your situation. They can offer support, including meetings where you can talk with other teens who are going through the same thing. They also have a newsletter, AlateenTalk, where you can get the views of people your age.

Reviewed by: D'Arcy Lyness, PhD
Date reviewed: February 2010

Have a question? Ask the experts.

Although we can't reply personally, you may see your question posted to this page in the future. If you're looking for medical advice, a diagnosis, or treatment, consult your doctor or other qualified medical professional. If this is an emergency, contact emergency services in your area.

Kids Health

Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.

© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.