Note: You don't have to peel the zucchini before shredding it for this recipe. It won't affect the taste and the peel will provide some extra fiber.
Prep time: 30 minutes
What you need:
- 11/2 c. shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
- 2 c. whole-grain pancake or biscuit mix
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- powdered sugar (enough to dust the muffins)
Equipment and supplies:
- oven (you'll need help from an adult assistant)
- bowls — one large, one medium
- grater — a plastic grater is safest for kids
- measuring cups and spoons
- muffin tin and paper liners
What to do:
- Wash zucchini and remove ends.
- Shred zucchini using largest holes on grater.
- Wrap grated zucchini in a couple of paper towels and squeeze to remove water.
- Measure 11/2 cups of squeezed-dry zucchini.
- Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix whole-grain pancake mix (or biscuit mix) with spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and lemon juice.
- Fold the egg-sugar mixture and shredded zucchini into the pancake-spice mixture; do not overmix.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove muffins from tin (with help from your adult assistant) and cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle muffins with a dusting of powdered sugar.
How much does this recipe make?
About a dozen muffins.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.