Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 30 minutes, including bake time
- 1 c. jarred pizza sauce
- 32 slices of turkey pepperoni (50% less fat)
- 4 oz. shredded, low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1-lb. bag whole-wheat pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 375º F (190º C).
- Flour work surface.
- Divide dough into four equal parts; roll out one part at a time into circles.
- On half of each circle, add:
1/4 c. pizza sauce
1/2 c. mushroom slices
8 pepperoni slices
1/4 c. shredded mozzarella
- Fold calzone and press edges together to seal; cut small hole in top to allow steam to escape.
- Place calzones on non-stick baking sheet; bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown (check instructions on pizza dough; baking temperatures may vary depending on brand used).
Makes: 4 calzones
Serving size: 1 calzone
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
18 g protein
12 g fat
5 g sat. fat
55 g carbohydrate
10 g fiber
33 mg cholesterol
1200 mg sodium
201 mg calcium
1 mg iron
6 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is an excellent source of protein and calcium, which are essential during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: July 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.