Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 8 c. raw spinach
- 2 medium pears, sliced thin and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 oz. Gruyere cheese, sliced very thin (use potato peeler to slice)
- 4 tbsp. chopped candied walnuts (or regular walnuts or almonds)
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
Whisk ingredients together in a microwave-safe container; heat on high 30 seconds.
- Wash and dry spinach; tear into smaller pieces and place into large bowl.
- Add sliced pear.
- Toss spinach and pears with warm dressing.
- Divide salad onto four plates; top with sliced Gruyere, nuts, and freshly ground pepper.
Makes: 4 servings
Serving size: 2 cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
8 g protein
16 g fat
3 g sat. fat
22 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
15 mg cholesterol
96 mg sodium
220 mg calcium
2 mg iron
126 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is an excellent source of calcium, folic acid, and vitamins A, K, and C, all of which are important nutrients during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.