Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 15 minutes, including cook time
- whole-wheat tortilla (8" diameter)
- 1/3 c. low-fat Mexican blend cheese
- 1 tsp. finely chopped jalapeño pepper (optional)
- 1/3 c. Southwestern-style, precooked, packaged chicken (1" dice)
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place tortilla onto skillet; sprinkle with cheese, chicken, and jalapeño, if using.
- Cook until cheese melts.
- Fold tortilla in half; continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes.
Makes: 1 quesadilla
Serving size: 1 quesadilla
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
24 g protein
6 g fat
2 g sat. fat
16 g carbohydrate
10 g fiber
26 mg cholesterol
874 mg sodium
186 mg calcium
1 mg iron
16 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, and is rich in vitamin A and calcium, all of which are essential during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.