Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 15 minutes, including cook time
- 1 medium apple
- 1 tsp. butter spread with canola oil
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- Core apple leaving bottom intact; using paring knife, peel skin from around top of core.
- Combine remaining ingredients; mix until blended.
- Place apple in microwave-safe dish and fill apple core with butter-spice mixture.
- Cover and microwave for 4-7 minutes until soft.
Makes: 1 serving
Serving size: 1 apple
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
0.5 g protein
2 g fat
1 g sat. fat
47 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
6 mg cholesterol
32 mg sodium
50 mg calcium
1 mg iron
4 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is a good source of vitamin C and fiber, which are essential during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.