Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 12 oz. bag of soy "crumbles" (textured vegetable protein meat alternative)
- 1 c. fat-free canned refried beans
- 1 c. shredded 2% Colby and Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas (8" diameter)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Combine taco mix, 3/4-1 c. of water, and crumbles (substituting for ground meat).
- Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until heated through.
- To assemble burritos:
- warm each tortilla in nonstick sauté pan or in microwave and put on a plate
- put 2 tbsp. refried beans on one side of tortilla
- add 1/4 c. of soy crumble-taco mix
- add 2 tbsp. cheese
- roll into burrito and serve
Serving size: 2 burritos
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
35 g protein
11 g fat
3 g sat. fat
45 g carbohydrate
24 g fiber
15 mg cholesterol
1900 mg sodium
330 mg calcium
5 mg iron
32 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is packed with protein, fiber, and nutrients like vitamins C and B12.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.