Note: This recipe is for anyone following a vegetarian (meat-free) diet.
Here's a sneaky way to increase your daily intake of fruit!
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 apple, cored
- 2 tbsp. raisins
- 1/2 c. light vanilla ice cream
- pinch of cinnamon
- apple corer (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring spoons
- measuring cup
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- Take a cored apple and cut it in half.
- Sprinkle raisins over the apple.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake it in the oven for 15 minutes at 350º Fahrenheit (176º Celsius).
- Remove the sheet from the oven and put a pinch of cinnamon over each apple half.
- Place the ice cream over the apple halves.
Serving size: 1 apple with 1/2 cup ice cream
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
4 g protein
4 g fat
2 g sat. fat
50 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
20 mg cholesterol
52 mg sodium
99 mg calcium
1 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Use a variety of dried fruit. Sprinkle chopped nuts over the ice cream.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.