This recipe is especially for kids who must avoid foods that contain gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
This light vegetarian, gluten-free dish can be served with steamed veggies, a salad, or baked potato.
Prep time: 40 minutes
- 3 bell peppers
- 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c. corn
- 1 c. cooked rice
- 1/2 c. onions, finely chopped
- 11/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 oz. light cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 oz. jalapeño Jack cheese, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cilantro
- 1/4 c. water
- nonstick cooking spray
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Preheat oven to 350º F (176º C). Spray 9" x 13" pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Fill each pepper half with bean mixture and place in pan.
- Pour 1/4 cup water into the pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle each half with cheese. Bake uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serving size: 1/2 pepper
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
8 g protein
4 g fat
2 g sat. fat
29 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
8 mg cholesterol
351 mg sodium
107 mg calcium
1.3 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Any color of peppers will work well in this recipe. If you would like to add meat, consider adding 1/2 c. ground beef or turkey to the bean mixture.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.