Note: This recipe is especially for kids with diabetes, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
You can make this breakfast the night before. It tastes great first thing in the morning and it's also a good source of calcium.
Prep time: 2 minutes
- 3/4 c. fruit-flavored, fat-free yogurt
- 1/3 c. oat bran
- 1/3 c. sliced peaches, canned in light syrup
- 1 tbsp. dried cranberries
- Layer peach slices in 16-oz. plastic cup.
- Next, layer the yogurt on top of the peach slices.
- Sprinkle dried cranberries on top of the yogurt.
- Top with oat bran.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Serving size: approximately 11/2 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
9 g protein
0 g fat
0 g sat. fat
44 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
4 mg cholesterol
221 mg sodium
271 mg calcium
8.2 mg iron
3 carbohydrate exchanges
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Try a variety of different yogurt flavors. You can also add some nuts for extra protein.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.