Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
This is a quick and easy way to add a vegetable serving into your daily meal plan.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 c. fat-free Italian dressing
- 2 c. brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup soy parmesan cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- 2-quart covered casserole dish (microwave safe)
- microwave (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cup
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix vegetables and dressing together in the casserole dish.
- Cook vegetables in microwave for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of the vegetables.
- Serve vegetables over rice.
Serving size: 1 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup rice
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
7 g protein
2 g fat
0 g sat. fat
31 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
278 mg sodium
117 mg calcium
1.4 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can also serve over this dish over pasta. If you would like more of a cheesy flavor, add soy mozzarella to the vegetables.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.