Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This protein-packed side dish is perfect for a holiday barbecue.
Prep time: 2 hours, 20 minutes (including cooking time)
- 1/4 c. onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 c. green pepper, chopped finely
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices cooked bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 16 oz. canned pork and beans (do not drain)
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- 11/2-quart baking dish
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing spoon
- Preheat oven to 325º Fahrenheit.
- Combine all ingredients in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 2 hours.
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
11 g fat
9 g protein
804 mg sodium
64 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.