Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
Enjoy this dish alone or with vegetables on the side. This high-calorie meal tastes even better the next day.
Prep time: 75 minutes
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 16 oz. can red kidney beans, drained
- 141/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 81/2 oz. cornbread mix
- 1/3 c. heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 81/2 oz. can creamed corn
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- stove (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- 2-quart casserole dish
- mixing bowl
- mixing spoons
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- In medium skillet, sauté onion and garlic in vegetable oil over medium heat. Cook approximately 10 minutes until tender, but not brown.
- Add cumin, chili powder, cocoa, and cinnamon to skillet.
- Add ground beef and cook at medium high heat. Cook meat until browned.
- Add red kidney beans and tomatoes to meat mixture and remove from heat.
- Spoon beef mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Spread shredded cheddar cheese on top of meat.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornbread mix, milk, egg, sour cream, and creamed corn together.
- Pour cornbread batter over top of meat and cheese. Spread batter evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top of cornbread is golden brown.
Serving size: 11/4 cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
37 g protein
45 g fat
1100 mg sodium
412 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can cut this recipe in half and make cornbread muffins with the leftover batter.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.