Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This easy side dish tastes great when served with turkey, chicken, or beef.
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2/3 c. water
- 2/3 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2/3 c. mashed potato flakes
- 3 tbsp. sour cream
- microwave-proof bowl
- mixing spoon
- microwave (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- Combine water, heavy cream, salt, and butter in a microwave-proof bowl.
- Microwave on high setting for approximately 2 minutes. (All microwaves vary and heating times may need to be adjusted.)
- Remove from microwave.
- Stir in potato flakes to moisten.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
4 g protein
45 g fat
403 mg sodium
76 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Add cheese or gravy to the recipe for even more calories.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.