Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF). Teens with CF often need to consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional needs.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 6 oz. ground beef
- 4 oz. sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 tbsp. onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp. Italian herb seasoning
- 4 4-oz. slices whole-milk mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 sourdough hamburger buns
- 1/4 c. warm pizza sauce, store-bought or already prepared
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first four ingredients in a bowl.
- Form two patties about 1 inch thick.
- Grill patties about 5 inches from coals, about 6 minutes per side, until cooked throughout.
- Top each burger with two slices of mozzarella about 30 seconds before removing burgers from the grill.
- Brush olive oil on the inside of each hamburger bun and lightly toast on grill until golden.
- Put 1/8 c. of warm pizza sauce in each hamburger bun. Then place the burger in the bun.
Serving size: 1 burger patty
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
82 g protein
84 g fat
2330 mg sodium
1213 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.