Sanford Children’s Cytogenetics Lab in Sioux Falls provides comprehensive laboratory services that analyze genetic components and factors in birth defects, disorders and disease in children. Our experienced staff is here to help patients, referring physicians and families obtain the laboratory analysis needed for diagnosis and treatment. Services include prenatal cytogenetic analysis (amniocentesis, CVS, POC), postnatal blood-tissue analysis, oncology bone marrow analysis, solid tumor (variable) analysis, fluorescence in situ Hybridication (FISH) analysis, and postnatal array CGH using The Cytogenetics Whole Genome Array. The Cytogenetics laboratory is under the direction of Dr. Patricia Crotwell .
Genetic Consultation and Counseling
Genetic consultation and counseling services are common areas where we provide assistance to physicians and families. Patients with the following characteristics are most likely to benefit from genetic counseling services.
- Chromosome abnormalities
- Delayed growth and psychomotor development
- Abnormal or unusual physical features
- Congenital anomalies, major or minor
- Abnormal sexual development
- Seizures or neurological dysfunction
- Metabolic disorders
- Muscular weakness
- History of three or more miscarriages
- History of a stillborn child
- A child or children with a genetic disorder or birth defect
- A positive family history of a genetic disorder
- Exposure to potential teratogenic agents
- Marriage to a relative
- Anxieties about childbearing
We are able to provide comprehensive cytogenetic laboratory services including:
- Prenatal Cytogenetic Analysis (Amniocentesis, CVS, POC)
- Postnatal Cytogenetic Analysis (Blood, Tissue)
- Oncology Cytogenetic Analysis (Bone Marrow)
- Solid Tumor Cytogenetic Analysis (Variable)
- Fluorescence in situ Hybridization (FISH) Analysis
- Array CGH using The Cytogenetics Whole Genome Array (Postnatal studies only, at this time)
If you would like further information or would like to schedule an appointment for postnatal services, please call the Genetic Counselors in Sanford Children's Specialty Clinic at 605-312-1000.
If you would like further information or would like to schedule an appointment for prenatal services, please call the Genetic Counselors in Sanford Women's Clinic at 605-328-4600.
If you are a medical professional looking for Cytogenetics Specimen Requirements, Mailing Instructions and Forms, please click here.
Learn more about our genetic specialties.
Sanford Medical Genetics
Sanford Pediatrics - Genetics
Posted Date: May 2011