The Sanford Wellness Center’s nationally acclaimed Aquatics Program offers outstanding aquatics facilities great for fun, fitness and families. We also offer a whirlpool and dry sauna with a large selection of aquatic equipment for use.
- The Sanford Wellness Center at Oxbow is supported by two saline-based pools: a 25-yard pool (84 degrees) and a warm water pool (93 degrees) plus a saline-based spa and a dry sauna.
- The Tea-Ellis location has a saline-based pool that has a 15-yard lap lane, slide and zero-depth area (83 degrees) plus a saline-based spa. The Tea Ellis Location also has a dry sauna and a steamroom.
- Both Sanford Wellness Center locations have saline-based pools and spas with fitness classes and activities for the whole family, including waterslides and pool toys.
- All aquatic programs are taught by certified staff.
What makes our aquatics program special?
Why is water so beneficial?
- Water programs are user friendly for people of varied health backgrounds.
- Buoyancy of water allows for less stress on muscles and joints.
- Water is an excellent medium to improve cardiovascular, strength and endurance.
- Water is a great source for rehabilitation of injury.
- Water is an excellent form of cross training for athletes.
What types of aquatics programming is offered for children?
- Red Cross swimming lessons are offered to all ages (6 months to adult) and skill levels - included with your family membership.
- Strength and Stroke Class is offered for kids in Levels 4 and above who need to work on stroke technique and endurance.
- Adaptive aquatics - "Avery Story"
Special pool parties are offered throughout the year. Celebrate your birthday, end of soccer season or other special events with our popular pool parties. Available to members and non members - call to schedule.
What types of aquatics programming are offered for adults?
- Varied formats of shallow and deep water exercise classes in the main pool
- Varied formats of toning classes offered in the warm water pool
- Adult swimming lessons
- Specialty classes (breast cancer survivor, arthritis, etc.)
- Adult stroke technique classes
- Individualized aquatic programs
- Lap swimming
- Triathlon training
- Masters Swim Program
New participants should arrive at class 5 minutes early if possible. Please let the instructor know if you have any physical limitations. If your doctor or physical therapist has told you not to do certain exercises, please follow their instructions.
For more information or if you have questions about the Wellness Center or any of these classes, please call (605) 328-1600.
Warm Water Pool at Oxbow
Pool temperature is 92-94 degrees. Exercise in this pool is not aimed at aerobic conditioning, but for toning and therapeutic purposes. For aerobic conditioning in the water, please attend the classes in the main pool. New participants should arrive at class 5 minutes early if possible. Please let the instructor know if you have any physical limitations. If your doctor or physical therapist has told you not to do certain exercises, please follow their instructions.
Please see the warm water pool schedule for current classes and descriptions.
See schedules for open swim hours: 49th and Oxbow; Tea Ellis
Adult Only Open Swim: Open swim time for Adults only (12 years and older)
Family Open Swim - Open swim time for parents and children. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Splish & Splash Baby Time- For Moms and Babies (6weeks- 2years)
Enjoy time in the water with your baby to bond and play with your baby. You can also meet other moms to talk and share the joys and concerns of parenting.