If you have questions or need assistance completing the application, please contact a patient account representative at our Patient Financial Services offices at 877-629-2999.
When paying your medical bill is a concern
Sanford has an extensive financial assistance policy. You may view a copy of the
program summary in [English] or [Español]. You may also view a copy of the complete
financial assistance policy in [English] or [Español].
What is financial assistance?
Sanford Hospitals and Clinics, collectively Sanford Health, offers Financial Assistance
for emergency and other medically necessary services provided and billed through
our centralized Patient Financial Services. This assistance, ranging from a reduction
in the amount of the balance outstanding up to complete forgiveness of the balance
outstanding, is provided to patients demonstrating financial need.
How do I request financial assistance?
You have several options to obtain a Financial Assistance application.
- Complete the Sanford Financial Assistance Application available in [English] or
- Contact a patient account representative at the phone number listed on your billing statement. Note: If your statement is not available, please contact our Patient Financial Services offices at 877-629-2999.
- Visit the registration representative at the clinic or hospital and they will be
able to provide you with an application.
What do I need to supply along with my request for financial assistance?
Return the application completed in its entirety along with:
- Copy of your most recent complete tax return, including all schedules.
- Copies of the two most recent pay stubs for each wage earner in the household.
- Copies of your property tax assessment statements.
What should I expect?
Your application will be reviewed and a decision will be communicated to you within
30 days. All information is confidential. To qualify for financial assistance, your
household income must be at or below 375% of the federal poverty level. This
eligibility is determined by:
- Family size
- Income guidelines
- Assets (liquid and non-liquid) in excess of liabilities*
- Terminal illness
- Employment status
*Exceptional circumstances may apply to applicants who own significant valued assets.
Sanford may consider the value of an individual's assets in determining
eligibility for financial assistance for care and services delivered at any Sanford
facility, except facilities that are designated as National Health Service Corps.