Before Sanford Health will release information about a particular patient’s condition, the news media must:
- Identify himself or herself by name and news affiliation
- Be able to provide the correct spelling of the first and last name of the patient
In accordance with Sanford’s policies and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
, please note the following:
- Any family requests to withhold information about a patient’s condition will be honored.
- If the patient has agreed ahead of time, patient directory information can be released.
- If the patient has not agreed to be included in the patient directory, Sanford can neither confirm nor deny their presence in our facility.
- Information that could possibly endanger or embarrass patients will never be released.
- Hospitals cannot share information with the media on the specifics about sudden, violent or accidental deaths or deaths from natural causes without the permission of the patient, next of kin or other legal representative.
- Any release of information to the public by the hospital about a death will only be made following the notification of next-of-kin and upon receipt of a request about the specific patient. Information about the cause of death must come from the patient’s physician, and a legal representative of the deceased must authorize the release of information.
Patient Condition Definition
- Undetermined: Patient is awaiting physician and/or assessment
- Good: Vital signs including pulse, respiration rate, temperature and blood pressure are stable and within normal limits. The patient is conscious and comfortable.
- Fair: Vital signs are stable and within normal limits, but the patient may be uncomfortable or suffering minor complications. Indicators are favorable.
- Serious: Vital signs may be outside normal limits and treatments are being directed toward assisting return of some vital signs to normal limits. Patient is acutely ill.
- Critical: Vital signs are unstable and frequently outside normal limits and one or more organ systems are in failure. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
Contact Media Relations
- Sioux Falls: (605) 366-2432
- Fargo : (701) 200-6080
- Bismarck : (701) 516-4903
- Bemidji : (218) 333-5040