SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Sanford Health has selected nine members to lead its newly created Sanford International Board, which provides guidance, direction, oversight and promotion of the health system’s global efforts.
The Sanford International Board, which held its inaugural meeting Friday, also helps determine growth and monitors and evaluates the financial and operational performance of Sanford World Clinic and other international activities involving Sanford Health.
The following individuals were selected for the Sanford International Board:
- Andy North (chair); retired professional golfer and two-time winner of the U.S. Open
- Gary Hall Jr. (vice chair); three-time Olympic swimmer and winner of 10 gold medals
- Miles Beacom; president and CEO of Premier Bankcard
- Pam Davis; system CEO of Edward-Elmhurst Health
- Manny Ohonme; founder of Samaritan’s Feet
- Kirk Penney; shooting guard for the Australian National Basketball League’s New Zealand Breakers
- Cindy Rarick; professional golfer and entrepreneur
- Robin Smith, M.D.; chairman and president of the Stem for Life Foundation
- Kelby Krabbenhoft (ex officio); president and CEO of Sanford Health
“The Sanford International Board was created to challenge Sanford Health to think bigger,” said Krabbenhoft. “As our organization pioneers the next generation of treatments and cures, it’s increasingly important that those advancements be available on a global scale.”
Through Sanford World Clinic, Sanford Health has a presence in several countries, including the United States, Ghana, China and Germany. A $400 million gift from philanthropist Denny Sanford helped launch multiple initiatives at Sanford Health, including Sanford World Clinic. Since its inception, the program has opened domestic and international sites using a model that emphasizes permanent infrastructure and expert care.
The Sanford World Clinic team is expanding additional international opportunities for partnership in the development of health care services across the globe. According to Krabbenhoft, as the organization has continued to learn about the ways health care is provided, funded and sustained in different parts of the world, the types of services and collaborations have expanded.
About Sanford Health
Sanford Health is an integrated health system headquartered in the Dakotas. It is one of the largest health systems in the nation with 45 hospitals and nearly 300 clinics in nine states and four countries. Sanford Health’s 28,000 employees, including more than 1,300 physicians, make it the largest employer in the Dakotas. Nearly $1 billion in gifts from philanthropist Denny Sanford have allowed for several initiatives, including global children's clinics, genomic medicine and specialized centers researching cures for type 1 diabetes, breast cancer and other diseases. For more information, visit sanfordhealth.org.
Sanford Health Media Relations
605-366-2432 / firstname.lastname@example.org